DUTCH-BMX-SQUAD Interview "Stompin Stu Thomsen"

Dutch Bmx Squad

DUTCH-BMX-SQUAD Interview "Stompin Stu Thomsen"

Post by Dutch Bmx Squad » 08-02-2010 17:55

[color=orange]

Hi Stu Thomsen,

First of all we want to thank you for taking time for our "old school bmx members" here in the Netherlands.
It's an honor to have you among us after all those years!

But where do we start after seeing your latest DVD, that's the question!
I think it’s better to talk about the future with a little bit of looking back over your shoulder!

Stu;
Serge,
First and foremost thank you for thinking of me for your websites interview and my apologizes for the late response in getting you this interview to you.

1. First of all, how is your wife Tanya and your son Jacob; did you all have a good Christmas?
Stu:
Tanya is recovering from her breast cancer and is in good spirits, It’s been 2 ½ years and no signs of the cancer reoccurring she continues her recovery in good spirits. We both enjoy life and never take what time God has given us for granted. Jacob recently graduated from the Art Institute of California with a Bachelor of Science degree in Game Art Design and is looking forward to working in the video game industry.

2. When or where is your first upcoming event that you're going to take part in and what brand of bike you love the most these days?
Stu:
My goal this year is to race 7 nationals. My first race this year will be the ABA Winter nationals. I will be concentrating more on my 24” in the 51 over class. I will race the 20” but mainly for fun and extra track practice. On the 20” I’ll be riding the 41X class. It’s a fast class and I don’t have the time nor energy to train to that level in which to be competitive in that class. My time has come and gone and it’s time for others to be in the spot light. Redlines are my bike of chose for they have treated me well since my retirement back in 88’. They help me out by supplying bikes and entry fees to the nationals. I have no signed contract, but I can’t really expect too much from them since I usually have a limited race schedule. Sometime only racing once or twice a year, sometime once every two years.

3. What was the most memorable or loving moment you had last year in 2009, in the BMX or outside the BMX scene?
Stu:
Outside the BMX scene would be seeing my son grow up to be a respectful and honest person. Watching him graduate and pursue his passion of gaming like I pursued my passion of cycling. I thank God for allowing me to meet my beautiful wife, Tanya, at a BMX race back in 1970 something. This year we will be celebrating our 30 year wedding anniversary. I am grateful and blessed to be able to enjoy my passion of cycling. I watched BMX become an Olympic sport and hope it continues to stay an Olympic sport.
BMX has come a long way but in the same time it hasn’t. We all share a common bond, we are young, we are old, we are new to the sport, we are returning to the sport, we are BMX!!!

4. This question comes from one of our members:
When I look at a competition race BMX frame/bike it's like I see a part of my life.
What thoughts/ feelings come up in your head when you look at a BMX bike, or what does BMX mean for you in general?
Stu:
For me it’s sometimes hard to imagine that I was somebody. People looked up to me; I was somebody’s hero or idol. The fact I made an impact on this sport. I’m grateful and humbled at the same time knowing that I have so many friends and fans out there in the BMX community. To this day BMX still gives me a thrill and like the member that asked this question; BMX was and still is a big part of my life.

5. This upcoming year some of our Dutch oldschoolers are trying to come over to the USA with Gerrit Does (founder of BMX in Europe) to try and visit a BMX event or gathering, where do you recommend us to go?
Stu:
Wow that’s a tuff question to answer. Check with the major BMX websites for upcoming gatherings/shows. Check with the NBL and ABA for a list of national caliber tracks in the areas you are going to visit. Definitely stop by the HOF at Olympic Training Center and the United States Bicycling Hall of Fame in Davis, California for a true understanding of the history of bike racing in general.

6. Last question Stu, we saw that you still have some beauties up the attic, are you going to rebuild some of them and which bike/ brand did you love to ride the most back in the day's?
Stu:
I have no plans to rebuild any of those bikes and will most likely sell them. Collecting is not my thing. They would be better off with someone who is willing to restore them and show them. Back in the early days I liked my Mongoose and the PK Ripper. Redlines where scary fast, and took me too many wins. Lynn Kastan made great bikes.

It was an honor to talk to you Stu, we are hoping you have a great 2010 with lots of victories and we wish you and your beloved ones all the best in the near future!
Hopefully we will catch up with Gerrit Does in 2010!
"All the best"

Serge (Tweak's)

Stu:
Thanks again, it was my pleasure. Say hi to Geritt for me and make sure to get in touch when you guys come out. Cheers, Stu Thomsen[/color]
become member of the "DUTCH-BMX-SQUAD" at http://www.dutchbmxsquad.nl