Interview with Perry Kramer 14-04-2010

Dutch Bmx Squad

Interview with Perry Kramer 14-04-2010

Post by Dutch Bmx Squad » 15-04-2010 20:12

[color=orange]Het is wederom weer gelukt om een kort interview te doen, dit keer met niemand minder dan Perry Kramer!

Enjoy reading!!

1. How did you get into BMX racing and where was your 1st local track?

Perry: I got into BMX late in 1973. We were always riding at a vacant lot on 12th St. in Santa Monica and one morning a guy rolled up driving a school bus and asked us if we raced those bikes. The guy was Ron Mackler and he put on the races at Palms Park in West LA. We all rode up there the following Thursday night and signed up. So Palms Park was my local track.

2. Who was your toughest competition in those days?

Perry: Well back then it would have been Dave Clinton, Rick Collins, Marvin Church, or Byron Friday. The top racers (Lund, Palfreyman, Stu, Breithaupt) were all in an age class above me.
A few years later when I was competing for the NBA National Title it was Stu Thomsen, Scot Breithaupt, Bobby Encinas, Neil Bonds, Jeff Bottema, & David Clinton.

3. We know you still race, but where could someone find you when you are not at your local track or riding your bike or do you have another hobby besides BMX?

Perry: Well actually I haven’t raced BMX for some time but every now and then I do get out on my 24” and ride the track. I do ride a lot, but mostly mountain bikes. I work for Giant Bicycle as an Account Executive in San Diego & Orange County so I’m in bike shops every day. I also like to golf and I play on a men’s softball team.

4. What was your most memorable moment in racing?

Perry: I do have quite a few but it would either be when I won the 1976 NBA Winternationals or winning the Pro class at the 1979 Jag World Championships. The 1976 Winternationals was the first national of 1976 and it was really the first year that the NBA said they would have a national series. I just got a sponsorship riding for the NBA with Mongoose and Shimano supplying me with bikes and parts.
The 1979 Jag World Championship race was huge as BMX was just starting to get big internationally and there were riders there from all over the world. I won $1500 at that race and back then I believe that was one of the largest Pro purses around. It was also the first year (1979) when we (SE Racing) were making and selling the “PK Ripper” so it was cool to win that race riding my own model bike.
One other memorable trip I made was in 1980. Gerrit Does brought David Clinton and me over to the Netherlands to race the AVRO Championships. It was a race that was presented on TV. On that trip Gerrit took David and me to Luxembourg to see the finals of the motocross season and we saw Roger DeCoster win both motos in his final race. I ended up winning the BMX race as well. Gerrit was a great host and I got to be good friends with his family, including his brother in law Pierre Karsmakers.

5. Do you still have some bikes, parts or souvenirs left from your old riding days?

Perry: I do have some stuff but not a lot of old bikes. I moved around a lot in the early ‘80’s and somehow or another a lot of stuff got sold, traded, or just left at some of the places I lived. I do have all of my old BMX newspapers and magazines, and at my moms house there are still the trophies from the major races.

6. What have you being up to since your riding days and how is life treating you?

Perry: Well like I said I still ride bikes a lot and I’m sure I will all of my life. I’ve been married for 22 years to my wife Connie and have 2 teenage kids (Sarah – 19 and Conrad – 16). I work for the best bike company in the world – Giant Bicycles so I get to ride the best bikes in the world. So I would have to say life is treating me good.

Dutch Bmx Squad Nl:
Thank you very much for this interview Perry, its great to hear that life is being good to you and your family. I wish you the very best and hopefully a get together with Gerrit Does at the Jag BMX event next year!
"all the best"
Serge
(forum owner of the DUTCH-BMX-SQUAD at http://www.bmx-forum.nl)

Stu Thompson Scott Breithaupt Perry Kramer

[img]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff23 ... 7163b6.jpg[/img][/color]
become member of the "DUTCH-BMX-SQUAD" at http://www.dutchbmxsquad.nl

Tonmachine

Post by Tonmachine » 16-04-2010 19:43

Mooi interview met Perry, het brengt leuke herinneringen op aan vroeger.
Ik was erbij in 1980 toen Perry en David een clinic gaven in Volkel.
We keken erg tegen die mannen op en leerden veel van ze.
Wij kregen les in bmx en wij gaven hun lessen in nederlandse taal. Hopfadomma was toch wel het favoriete woord.
Ik reed toendertijd bij de senioren 15+ en heb ook met Perry aan het starthek gestaan tijdens een wedstrijd.
We kregen toen wel fietsles, we gingen er misschien wel met een kwart ronde op.
:P :P :P DIE GOEIE OUWE TIJD.

Dutch Bmx Squad

Post by Dutch Bmx Squad » 17-04-2010 10:19

[color=orange]
Dank je, Ton
Jaloers is niet het woord... maar wat een mooie herinnering, Ton! :-D

Ik moet ook eerlijk zeggen dat het niet gemakkelijk is om zo'n interview af te leggen bij
de grootheden der BMX, deze jongens hebben het altijd zeer druk, maar als ze eenmaal door
hebben dat ze worden geinterviewd door een nederlands forum nemen ze toch nog even snel
de tijd om het interview terug te sturen.
Ik denk dat we dat te danken hebben aan onze "Gerrit".
De reden dat het zulk korte interviews zijn, komt doordat ze anders helemaal niet reageren... :(

Wie zullen we nu eens interviewen? 8) [/color]

Tonmachine

Post by Tonmachine » 18-04-2010 08:52

Ik denk dat niet alleen Gerrit, maar de hele familie Does hier debet aan is dat deze mannen reply geven op het verzoek voor een interview.
Misschien is Andy Patterson een tip voor een volgend interview, ik denk dat zijn optredens in Nederland (open EK Beek en Donk, WK Slagharen) zijn carriere wel een duwtje in de rug hebben gegeven.

Dutch Bmx Squad

Post by Dutch Bmx Squad » 18-04-2010 09:25

[color=orange]Absoluut.... alleen Andy is niet te bereiken via het internet hetzelfde geldt voor Darryl Young! :cry:

Ik zal eens aan Gerrit vragen of hij nog contactgegevens heeft van deze heren. 8) [/color]

Mike hogerheijde
Site Admin

Post by Mike hogerheijde » 18-04-2010 16:56

Darryl raced nog steeds in het noorden van de states en andy is net een beach bum...moet je proberen via steve blackey opface of bmx society

Dutch Bmx Squad

Post by Dutch Bmx Squad » 18-04-2010 18:39

[color=orange] hahahhaha.....beach bum hahahha

ik zal ook eens kijken in de fw emails van Jim Melton 8)

ps,goeie tip...thx! [/color]

Tonmachine

Post by Tonmachine » 18-04-2010 20:06

Misschien heb je hier wat aan.
http://www.myspace.com/andypattersonbmx

Mike #98

Post by Mike #98 » 19-04-2010 08:51

[quote="Dutch Bmx Squad"][color=orange]
Dank je, Ton
Jaloers is niet het woord... maar wat een mooie herinnering, Ton! :-D

Ik moet ook eerlijk zeggen dat het niet gemakkelijk is om zo'n interview af te leggen bij
de grootheden der BMX, deze jongens hebben het altijd zeer druk, maar als ze eenmaal door
hebben dat ze worden geinterviewd door een nederlands forum nemen ze toch nog even snel
de tijd om het interview terug te sturen.
Ik denk dat we dat te danken hebben aan onze "Gerrit".
De reden dat het zulk korte interviews zijn, komt doordat ze anders helemaal niet reageren... :(

Wie zullen we nu eens interviewen? 8) [/color][/quote]

Serge, helemaal super deze intervieuws! Geweldig!

Bedankt voor het plaatsen in ons forum.

Groet,
Mike
www.bmxmuseum.nl
Check www.bmxmuseum.nl and become member of our and your OS BMX dreams!

Dutch Bmx Squad

Post by Dutch Bmx Squad » 19-04-2010 09:14

[color=orange]Mike J,

Heel graag gedaan, het is elke keer een "thrill" als het me weer lukt,
het vergt veel tijd maar de genoegdoening maakt het helemaal goed!

"Thanks"

(ps, intervieuw schrijf je zonder u :wink: )[/color]